With its ethereal landscape, fairytale sunrises and a sky dotted with hot air balloons, Cappadocia is one of the most stunning places on earth. Having stayed in some incredible hotels, including the famous Cappadocia cave hotels we wanted to share our tips on where to stay in Cappadocia. During our latest visit we personally stayed in three different hotels to allow us to experience all that Cappadocia has to offer and we’ve put together this ultimate guide to choosing where to stay in Cappadocia for anyone planning a trip to this incredible part of Turkey.
Make sure to check out our entire Turkey itinerary Guide for help planning your time in Turkey.
Choosing Where to Stay in Cappadocia
There are 5 main areas to stay in Cappadocia that all offer great options for places to stay: the towns of Göreme and Uçhisar are the most popular options and these are our personal favourites as they offer the best views of the sunrise hot air balloons. However, each area in Cappadocia area has its pros and cons and will appeal to different travellers.
1 | Göreme
Best for: Close up views of the balloons, restaurants and nightlife. Great for visitors without a car.
Göreme is the most popular as it is the busiest town with the most restaurants, shops and easy access. Located among the fairy chimneys, Göreme hotels are located close to the popular hot air balloon launch sites. This is perfect for visitors without a car as you can easily hike to the popular spots or hire a quad bike to access the viewpoints – check prices now!
2 | Uçhisar
Best for: Luxury hotels and, as the highest point in Cappadocia, the views over are awesome.
Uchisar is located around 5km outside of Göreme and the best Uçhisar hotels offer incredible views of the fairy chimney landscape as it’s the highest point in Cappadocia. We chose to stay here during our time too and found the area more relaxing and less touristy than Goreme – check prices now!
3 | Çavuşin
Best for: visitors seeking a quieter more remote stay, access to hikes and views of the sunrise balloons.
Çavuşin is perfectly located within the Goreme National Park and is right next to the popular launch sites for the sunrise balloons. The small town is home to a few stunning boutique hotels. It is perfect for anyone seeking to stay in a quieter location and within the national park itself, and hiking is easy from the hotels – check prices now!
4 | Ürgüp
Best for: those seeking a cave hotel experience in a more tranquil setting.
Ürgüp is a quiet town located around 10 km east of Goreme and, with a mix of ancient and modern, is home to many luxury cave hotels – check prices now!
5 | Ortahisar
Best for: those seeking luxury at a more reasonable price and budget travellers. Hotel prices tend to be lower due to its location over the hill from Goreme – check prices now!
Rapidly growing in popularity due to a flurry of hotel openings, Ortahisar is known for its castle and cobbled streets. It’s a great option for travellers seeking the Cappadocia of old or those who prefer more modern hotel offerings.
Choosing a hotel in Cappadocia
1 | Göreme
Göreme is the tourist centre of Cappadocia and the location of most of the cave suites and hotels. Situated among the many fairy chimneys of Cappadocia, Göreme has lots of restaurants, shops and places to stay.
- Sultan Cave Suites – made famous on Instagram for its epic rooftop terrace and views across Göreme and the sunrise balloons, Sultan Cave Suites is one of our favourite hotels in Cappadocia. The rooms are cave suite style and hewn into the rock: they are cosy and presented at a very high standard. We stayed in a double suite room which had lots of space and it was immaculately clean. The bed was really comfortable, breakfast was incredible and the views were stunning.
- The biggest selling point of Sultan Cave Suites is the rooftop terrace. For sunrise, the terrace is reserved only for guests of the hotel (and yes management check this so don’t try to sneak in!) The views from this photogenic terrace are some of the best in Cappadocia and the resident dog, Izmir, is often around for a few photo opportunities! – check prices now!
- Doors of Cappadocia – Another great Göreme hotel which has awesome views of the balloons is Doors Cappadocia. The rooftop at Doors of Cappadocia has commanding views over the valley and the balloons passing by at sunrise. The best part is the rooftop pool and, if you’re after incredible photographs, the balloons and the pool make for the perfect combination – check prices now!
- Mithra Cave Hotel – The next door neighbour of the Sultan Cave Suites, the Mithra Cave Hotel also offers excellent panoramic views of the hot air balloons but it’s possible to secure rooms at lower rates. The rooftop at the Sultan Cave Suites has an ever so slightly better vantage point for the hot air balloons the terraces at Mithra are a great, and often more budget-friendly, option. Mithra also has a resident dog and rooms range from basic cave rooms to two bedroom cave suites – check prices now!
- Artemis Cave Suites – another great option for a cave suite in Goreme, Artemis cave Suites offers large rooms and a terrace with stunning views across Goreme – check prices now!
- Cappadocia Cave Land Hotel – this small family-run hotel is located just around the corner from Sunrise Point, one of the best viewpoints in Göreme. The breakfast on the terrace is phenomenal and there are lots of restaurants nearby – check prices now!
2 | Uchisar
As the highest point in Cappadocia, the best hotels in Uchisar offer some of the most breathtaking views in the region. The hotels with the best views tend to be the more expensive options but we think the views and service are definitely worth the cost. We stayed in two different hotels in Uchisar and loved both of them.
- Rox Cappadocia – We stayed in the Rox and the experience was exceptional. The owners are extremely nice and were very helpful with planning our time in Cappadocia. The rooms are cave style but the finish is immaculate with comfortable fixtures and fittings and air-conditioning. The view from the roof terrace is one of our favourites in Cappadocia and the breakfast was delicious and so big it was hard to finish! – check prices now!
- Museum Hotel – it’s easy to see why this is one of the most sought-after hotels in Cappadocia. The ultimate in Cappadocia luxury, the Museum Hotel is located on the slopes of Uçhisar and boasts incredible views over the surrounding valleys. The view of the hot air balloons from the hotel’s Roman Pool is breathtaking and the Roman ruins scattered throughout the grounds make for some unique photo opportunities. The hotel is based on the concept of a living museum and even the rooms contain relics. We so wanted to stay at the Museum Hotel but we weren’t able to reserve a room as guests at the Museum Hotel must be age 12 or over and we were travelling with our 5 month old – check prices now!
Where to stay in Cappadocia tip: for a real treat book the harem cave suite – the room has a constant flow of wine with a red wine tap and a white wine tap ready to deliver!
- Taskonaklar – this was the second hotel we stayed at during our time in Cappadocia. The Taskonaklar is a great luxury option, is great for families and has fantastic cave rooms. There are incredible panoramic views over the surrounding valley – check prices now!
- Cappadocia Cave Resort & Spa (CCR) – rooms are built into the hillside at the Cappadocia Cave Resort, a great reasonably priced option in Uchisar. The hotel has an outdoor pool overlooking the valley and a relaxing Turkish bath. Sunrise on the terrace is unmissable as hundreds of balloons rise up over the valley – check prices now!
3 | Ürgüp
Ürgüp is a quieter town located around 10 km east of Goreme and perfect for anyone seeking a cave hotel experience in a more tranquil setting.
- Kayakapi Premium Caves Cappadocia – it’s easy to see why this is rated as one of best hotels in Urgup. Set in restored historical caves, the rooms here are the ultimate in luxury and will make you feel like royalty. Due to the cliffside location, the views from the hotel across the Cappadocia are incredible. There is a complimentary buggy service to the town of Urgup, however, you might not want to leave the hotel – it’s that good! – check prices now!
- Oread Cave Suites – a luxurious cave suite hotel with incredible rooms and a panoramic rooftop terrace. Extra touches include rose petals on the bed, rooms with private Turkish baths and an excellent Turkish breakfast – check prices now!
- Dere Suites Cappadocia – another great option for a luxury cave suite hotel in Urgup and the on-site restaurant is very highly reviewed. The cave rooms are tastefully decorated with antique furniture and handmade fabrics – check prices now!
4 | Ortahisar
Located just across from the sunset viewpoint hill in Goreme is the small town of Ortahisar, a great option for travellers seeking the Cappadocia of old or those who prefer more modern hotel offerings.
- Ramada Cappadocia – a larger hotel by Cappadocia standards, the Ramada offers modern facilities and has an onsite restaurant serving evening buffets – check prices now!
- Elika Cave Suites – built in restored historic caves, rooms are stylish and have views of Cappadocia. Modern amenities include underfloor heating and a Nespresso machine in bedrooms – check prices now!
- Lamihan Cave Hotel – located below the Ortahisar Castle the Lamihan Cave Hotel is set in a 300-year-old restored mansion. Each room has a private terrace with panoramic views – check prices now!
5 | Çavuşin
Located right in the middle of the Rose Valley and fairy chimneys, Çavuşin is a quiet village with some good accommodation options.
- Fairyland Cave Hotel – a small boutique hotel on top of the hill in Çavuşin village stunning views of surrounding countryside and a quiet atmosphere. The views of the balloons in the morning are among the best in Cappadocia – check prices now!
- Jacob’s Cave Suites Cappadocia – located in the centre of Goreme National Park among the whimsical rock formations. The hotel offers a fabulous organic Turkish breakfast and some rooms feature an in-room Turkish bath – check prices now!
- Agarta Cave Hotel – Lovely quiet hotel with great rooms and lots of terraces for relaxing during the day. The hot air balloons fly overhead at sunrise – check prices now!