As soon as we heard about the launch of the DJI Osmo Action camera we pre-ordered both the camera and our favorite DJI Osmo Action accessories. The high-quality action camera has best in class in-camera stabilisation making the DJI Osmo Action one of the very best action cameras available on the market.
Like most action cameras, once you’ve purchased the camera your attention will move to the best accessories for the DJI Osmo Action. There are both generic action camera accessories and specialty DJI Osmo Action accessories that we recommend purchasing.
Our 13 best DJI Osmo Action Accessories
After using the DJI Osmo Action for a few months these are our pick of the best accessories for the DJI Osmo Action camera.
1 | Osmo Action Charging Kit
The Osmo Action Charging Kit is the first accessory you should get for your DJI Osmo Action. The camera has a relatively well sized 1300 mAh battery and we’ve found that we get very close to the manufacturer claim of 90 minutes when shooting in 4k at 30 fps. We get roughly the same recording time when shooting 1080p at 60fps.
It takes around 90 minutes to fully charge an Osmo Action battery which means you’re going to need a spare battery! Similar to our other cameras and DJI drones, we recommend having three batteries with you when you head out shooting so it’s important to purchase additional batteries – check prices now!
This is where the charging kit comes in. The charging kit allows you to charge three batteries externally in a cradle at once. It’s also relatively good value as it includes two batteries along with the dock and the charging cable.
Best DJI Osmo Action Accessories tip: You need to be very careful when installing the battery into the DJI Osmo Action. There are two clasps which need to be engaged in order for the battery to be installed correctly. If both the switches are not closed the camera is not water tight and your Osmo Action will take a bath if it gets wet!
2 | Spare batteries
The innovative design of the Osmo Action battery means this small camera can pack a large battery life yet the camera retains a small footprint. On the downside, you cannot buy generic batteries as the battery door is built into each battery. The spare batteries are pricey and you’ll need at least 2 spares. The charging kit above includes 2 batteries but can you also buy them separately – check prices now!
- ✅5Wh, 1300mAh LiPo Battery - 3. 85V Power Output - Records 1080p30 for up to 135 Minutes - Records 4K60 for up to 63 Minutes - 90-Minute Charge...
3 | Power Bank
One of the main benefits of the DJI Osmo Action is that you can charge it over USB – either directly via the USB-C port or using the cradle accessory. Make sure to pick up a decent battery pack so you can charge batteries on the go. We use this Anker 20,000 mAh pack and it charges 4 or 5 Osmo batteries – check prices now!
- The Anker Advantage: Join the 50 million+ powered by our leading technology.
- Poweriq 2. 0: our brand-new exclusive technology. Intelligently identifies your device to deliver the fastest possible charge.
4 | Micro SD cards
The DJI Osmo Action allows you to capture incredible stabilised 4k footage at 25 and 30 fps via the Rocksteady functionality. This footage is going to need some good, reliable memory cards. We recommend Sandisk Micro SD memory cards for all DJI products.
In 5 years of using them, they’ve never once let us down!
Best DJI Osmo Action Accessory tip: The best advice we can give for memory cards is to resist buying the biggest available. We find that a large memory card makes us lazy at backing up our footage. This leaves you at risk of losing lots of footage if you lose your camera. This is super easy to do with a small camera like the DJI Osmo Action.
We recommend using a few of the 64gb Sandisk micro SD cards. They are large enough to hold a decent amount of footage – but small enough to force you to swap out cards. This minimises the risk of losing lots of footage and forces you to back up! – check prices now!
- Up to 160MB/s read speeds to save time transferring high-res images and 4K UHD videos (2). Requires compatible devices capable of reaching such...
- Up to 60MB/s write speeds for fast shooting. Requires compatible devices capable of reaching such speeds.
5 | Storage
One of the main benefits of the Osmo Action is the ability to shoot stabilised 4K footage at 30 or 25 fps. For anyone new to 4K video, you’re going to need a lot of storage capacity for storing and editing the footage.
For backing up footage we use the rule of three – three copies, in three different locations. We keep one copy on a micro SD card and two additional copies on separate hard drives. We keep each of these hard drives in different bags so the chances of both backups being lost or stolen is reduced. Our personal choice for hard drive backups are these Seagate passport drives. They’re cheap and reliable and come with us everywhere – check prices now!
- Easily store and access 2TB to content on the go with the Seagate Portable Drive, a USB external hard drive
- Designed to work with Windows or Mac computers, this external hard drive makes backup a snap just drag and drop
A recent addition to our bag are these super-fast SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD drives. They’re rugged, super fast and really compact. They are really useful for speeding up your workflow when working with large 4K video files. We find these best for editing photos and videos, while the other hard drives act as backups – check prices now!
- Get NVMe solid state performance featuring up to 1050MB/s read and up to 1000MB/s write speeds in a portable, high-capacity drive that’s...
- Up to 2 meter drop protection and IP55 water and dust resistance (3) mean this tough drive can take a beating
6 | Osmo Action case
There are two main styles of the case for the DJI Osmo Action: asmall case that holds the camera only or a case that holds the camera and some DJI Osmo Action accessories. Our personal preference is a small case for the camera only. This allows us to throw the camera into our main bag and go – with separate go bag for a few accessories.
We recommend this small case – it keeps your DJI Osmo Action safe while you travel while still being compact – check prices now!
- ★ MINI SIZE - Mini storage just for Gopro camera plus frame housing,keeps your GoPro safe and protected.Compact and easy to store in backpacks...
- ★ HIGH QUALITY and FASHIONAL - High quality PU surface,provide Water resistance and dampproof.Stylish exterior design of black twill patterns.
If you want a larger case that holds the Osmo Action and some accessories such as spare batteries and mounts check out this case: check prices now!
- Perfect fit for Batteries for DJI FPV Comno; compatible with Gopro 10, DJI Osmo Pocket 2/OM 4/OSMO Action / OSMO Pocket - Organize your OSMO...
- It includes two long and four short foldable space dividers that help to customize the storage area.
7 | ND Filters
Similar to all the other DJI products we own, we highly recommend getting the PolarPro line of ND filters for your Osmo Action camera.
ND, or Neutral Density, filters are essentially sunglasses for your camera lens and allow you to take more cinematic style footage on your Osmo action when you shoot on manual settings. The rule of thumb for video is that the shutter speed should always remain at 2 times the frame rate: so if you’re shooting at 30fps at 4k on the DJI Osmo Action your shutter speed should remain as close to 60 as possible. Outside of darker/cloudy weather (i.e. during the daytime), this can only be accomplished by using ND filters which limit the sunlight entering the lens.
Polar Pro Filters
Polar Pro made the best quality filters and are definitely worth the money once you see the footage they help produce. There are a number of different Polar Pro Filters available for the DJI Osmo Action.
Best DJI Osmo Action Accessories Tip: All of our recommended filters use the existing threading of the Osmo Action camera lens and allow you to hot-swap the filters using a magnetic system without removing the base thread. This allows you to quickly and easily swap between filters which is a lifesaver!
Polar Pro Cinema Filter Shutter Series ( 3 & 5 set filters)
The three filter kit is perfect for mild lighting conditions and contains 3 filters: ND4, ND8, and ND16 filters – check prices now!
The 5 filter kit will cover all lighting conditions by including ND32 and ND64 filters for very bright conditions. This is great for shooting in bright summer weather during the daytime – check prices now!
Polar Pro Cinema Filter Vivid Series ( 3 and 5 filter kits)
The Vivid series includes the same three filters as the shutter, however, they also include polarisation. This is great for removing the glare on footage of water where the reflections are reduced. These filters also enhance colour saturation and contrast significantly.
The 3-filter pack includes a ND4/PL, ND8/PL, and ND16/PL filters – check prices now!
The 5-filter kit includes a ND4/PL, ND8/PL, ND16/PL, ND32/PL, ND64/PL filters – check prices now!
Polar Pro Circular Polariser
This is a specialty filter which allows you to vary the amount of polarisation by turning the filter – check prices now!
Polar Pro Cinema Cinematographers bundle
This is the bundle which includes all of the Shutter and Vivid series filters in one pack. If you need to shoot in every condition then this is the pack you should purchase.
This pack includes the following filters: ND4/PL, ND8/PL, ND16/PL, ND32/PL, ND64/PL, ND4, ND8, ND16, ND32, ND64 Filters – Buy now on Amazon
Straps & mounting
A surprising benefit of the DJI Osmo action is that when used with the included frame case it is compatible with almost all Go Pro accessories. This massively increases the selection of accessories available when you’re looking to buy a mount, strap or another accessory.
The mounts you use with the Osmo Action really depend on how you plan to use the camera.
8 | Selfie stick
For most people, this will be the first mount they purchase for the Osmo Action. The DJI recommended selfie stick is manufactured by PGYTECH and also doubles as a mini tripod for your Osmo Action – check prices now!
- 2 In 1 Desgin: Mini tripod & Extension Functions in 1, Easy Swich of Tripod Function and Extension Function.
- Wide Compatibility: Universal Interface at Extension Pole Top for Various Action Cameras including DJI Action 2, OSMO POCKET 2, Gopro 10, Gopro...
We actually use a Go Pole Reach selfie stick as it gives you more reach (it extends to over 4 feet) and it also floats which makes it really useful when using the DJI Osmo Action in the water – check prices now!
- 4-Stage Telescoping - Extends up to 40 Inches
- Compact and Portable (14 Inches Collapsed)
9 | Mini tripod
A small tripod is extremely useful for action cameras and the best choice is the Joby Gorillapod. We have personally used a Joby Gorillapod for over 5 years and, despite all the wear and tear, it’s still going strong! This model is specifically made for smaller action cameras meaning it’s a bit smaller and will take up less room in your bag. Plus you can use the quick release plates on the DJI Osmo Action to quickly switch to it – check prices now!
- Easy to use flexible tripod for action video cameras like GoPro HERO6 Black, GoPro HERO5 Black, GoPro HERO5 Session, Contour and Sony Action Cam;...
- Quick Set-ups: Comes with two quick-release clips–Mount for GoPro and the standard 1⁄4"-20 tripod clip–so it works with all action cameras
10 | Suction cup
We still use the Go Pro suction cup and it works great for the DJI Osmo Action. When applied correctly this mount is extremely strong – even on the outside of a car going 40-50 mph. If you’re planning to mount the Osmo to a window or car, this is simply the best option out there – check prices now!
- Compatible with all GoPro cameras
- Includes: (1) Head strap
11 | Backpack strap
Being able to mount the Osmo Action on your bag is super useful. Pgytech make a pretty decent strap that DJI recommends – check prices now!
We recommend using a Peak Design Captur clip with a Peak Design POV adapter with you Osmo Action.
You can use the Peak Design Captur clip with all your cameras and we’ve used ours for the past few years and it’s worked flawlessly. It gives quick access to your camera by attaching it to your belt or bag strap – check prices now!
- Camera mount securely holds DSLR, compact and point-and-shoot cameras during any physical activity.
- Access your camera fast with a quick release button that withstands over 200 lbs. of force.
- Updated POV Kit to work with Peak Designs Capture V3
- Mount GoPro or other brand action cameras on any backpack strap or belt
When combined with the POV adapter you can get amazing first-person footage from your Osmo Action
Although the combined kit is more expensive than the Pgytech strap – you can use it with all your cameras and it will last years.
12 | Head / Hand Straps
We frequently use a head strap with our Go Pro and it’s great for hiking or first-person action shots. It’s even better with the Osmo Action as, together with this strap and the Rocksteady built-in the stabilisation of the Osmo Action, you can get buttery smooth first-person footage. The strap using the standard screw mounting system that is compatible with the Osmo Action frame case – check prices now!
- Compatible with all GoPro cameras
- Includes: (1) Head strap
A hand strap can also offer a unique perspective in your footage. Pgytech makes a very good hand strap for the Osmo Action. It’s a solidl build and allows you to securely attach your Osmo Action to your arm for epic shots! – check prices now!
- ★ EASY TO ROTATE - No more operations required, each rotation will automatically lock.
- ★ CONVENIENT INSTALLATION - Can be installed with one hand,it is simple to use.
13 | USB-C Cover
This isn’t strictly an accessory, however, it’s a really useful part to carry as a spare.
The DJI Osmo Action is incredible as you don’t need an external case to guarantee water-proofing. However, if any part of the case comes to lose your camera is going for a swim.
One annoyance of the DJI Osmo Action is the USB-C cover – or more specifically how flimsy it is. It’s super easy to pull it off completely and then lose it, especially when charging the battery while it’s in the camera. This means your Osmo Action won’t be waterproof and you’ll need to replace it.
Fortunately, DJI sell spares – they’re not cheap but it’s definitely worth having one in your bag when you’re on a trip – check prices now!
- DJI Osmo Action Camera Captures Every Adventure in Stunning 4K Detail, Mavic 2, incredibly smooth content with Osmo Pocket, or heart-racing...
- Accessories include a mounting frame, a USB Type-C cable, a quick release base, a flat adhesive mount, a curved adhesive mount, and a connector...
So there you have it – our complete list of the best accessories for the DJI Osmo Action camera. Let us know if we missed anything in the comments below. We hope this article helped you choose what you need and happy shooting!