How to get from Bangkok to Maeklong Railway Market and Amphawa floating market for $7!
This post may contain compensated links. Find more info in our disclosure policy.
Updated for 2019 minivan departure location
Maeklong Railway market and the Amphawa floating market were high on our must see Bangkok list and it was just a matter of figuring out how to get there! The organised tours were coming in around US $60 per person but we reckoned we could do it ourselves for a little less. We were right!
We managed to travel from our hotel in Bangkok to Maeklong and Amphawa and back for less than $7 per person through a combination of the BTS (Bangkok Transit System), a minivan and a songthaew (a pick up truck used as a shared taxi). What’s more we had an amazing day and here’s how you can do the same!
Tours to Maeklong
if you prefer to take a tour make sure to check out the options on the Klook App. We use it all over Asia and it’s prices are great – check Maeklong tours here
Where to stay in Bangkok
We’ve spent over two months in Bangkok and have had the opportunity to sample some amazing hotels across the city. Our favourites include:
- Riva Surya: great value and the river views are superb – Check prices here
- Cubic Hostel: is an awesome choice and the perfect option for travelers who love the social side of travel – Check prices here
- Aldephi forty nine: is fab value and perfectly located to hop on off the BTS Skytrain – Check prices here
1 | Get to Mo Chit or Southern Bus Terminal
Note: as of November 2016 minivans to Maeklong leave from Sai Tai Mai terminal, Bangkok’s Southern bus terminal and Mo Chit Bus Station.
- Southern Bus Terminal (Sai Tai Mai Bus station): buses depart approximately every 40 minutes from 6am to 8pm. The cost is 70 baht and the journey takes around 90 minutes
- Mo Chit Bus Station: buses depart approximately every hour. The cost is 90THB and the journey takes around 90 minutes
Getting to Mo Chit Bus Station
- BTS: Take the BTS Skytrain to Mochit BTS. The bus and BTS station are around a 20 minute walk apart so either get a taxi (less than 50 bhat) or a local bus: buses 26, 77, 96, 104, 136, 145, 509 go to the bus terminal
- Bus: buses depart from different places in Bangkok. Buses 3,16, 26,49, 77,96, 104, 134, 136, 138, 145, 170, 509, 517, 529, 536 all go to Mo Chit.
- Finding the minivan: ask around for directions or head to one of the counters and ask where to wait.
Getting to the Southern Bus Terminal
- BTS: Take the BTS Skytrain to Mochit BTS. The bus and BTS station are around a 20 minute walk apart so either get a taxi (less than 50 bhat) or a local bus (136 and 145) to the bus terminal
- Bus: buses depart from all over in Bangkok. Buses 19, 28, 25, 30, 40, 57, 79, 123, 124, 149, 159, 164, 170, 507, 511 all go to the Southern Bus Terminal
2 | Arrive in Maeklong
The minivan drop off is on the main street which runs alongside the market. The driver pointed us in the direction of the market.
3| Check the Train Times at Maeklong Station
If you want to see the train pass through the market the timetable is displayed at Maeklong Railway station which is just up the street from the bus drop off. The timetable is subject to change (be sure to check a site like TripAdvisor for the latest timetable) but there are 6 scheduled trains per day between Ban Laem and Maeklong. We wanted to catch the train twice so we opted for the 13:45 train arriving in Maeklong and the 14:30 train leaving for Ban Laem.
2017 train timetable: The train departs Maeklong at 6:20am, 9:00am, 11:30am, 3:30pm and the train arrives at 8:30am, 11:10am, 2:30pm, 5:40 pm. Again be sure to check for the latest timetable.
4 | Take a songthaew to Amphawa Floating Market
Amphawa is only a ten minute ride from Maeklong and we decided to check out the floating market on our day trip. The songthaews (local taxi-trucks) are located at the main junction in Maeklong and the journey costs 8 baht each way. They leave frequently and a songthaew ride is a fun experience! Grab a songthaew back to Maeklong after you’ve explored the floating market or look for a minivan going back to Bangkok directly from Amphawa. We hailed a passing Songthaew and it stopped for us to hop on!
Cost: 8 baht each way
6| Take the minivan back to Bangkok
The minivans back to Bangkok are located in a parking garage off the main street. We checked with the minivan drivers parked on the main street and they pointed us in the right direction. Three buses left when we were there in the parking garage and we only waited around 10 minutes for our seat.
We arrived back in Bangkok after an incredibly fun day at Maeklong and Amphawa where we managed to see the train pass through the market twice and hang out at the floating market. The total cost was 156 baht and our BTS fares to Victory monument so around US $7 in total. Not bad for a day’s work!
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.