Tulum days are a heady mix of sand, sea and cenotes interspersed with quirky eateries and a glamorous party scene. As a result, there are endless amazing Instagram spots in Tulum.
Having used Tulum as a base during our Yucatan adventures we’ve put together this list of the 15 most Instagrammable locations in Tulum. We hope you have as much fun as we did exploring some of the best Instagram spots in Tulum!
15 Best Instagram Spots in Tulum
From glamorous parties to crystal clear cenotes, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and some of the best Mayan ruins in the Yucatan, Tulum has something for everyone.
If you are planning a Yucatan trip, make sure to check out our Yucatan itinerary for more inspiration.
Where to stay in Tulum
Tulum’s accommodation options are split between exclusive resorts with private beach access, lodgings near the public beaches and hotels and hostels in the town itself. All three options are great. In terms of budget, the very expensive hotels tend to be located on the beach in the hotel-zone while you can get much better bang for your peso in Tulum town.
- Casa Santiago– This small boutique hotel is a perfect little oasis located close to the main street of Tulum town. We stayed here and loved the modern, clean rooms and reasonable prices – check prices now!
- El Pez a Colibri Boutique Hotel– Located next to Sunrise Beach, El Pez a Colibri is one of the best hotels in the hotel zone. The views fare incredible and it’s one of the best options on the beach – check prices now!
- Hotel Poc Na Tulum– this is a great option for those looking for a stunning beachfront hotel away from the busy hotel-zone. Hotel Poc Na Tulum is located on the beach and inside the Tulum Archeological site. – check prices now!
1 | Follow that dream
Tulum’s south beach road is dotted with small boutiques and colorful shack style cafes which sit opposite the exclusive private resorts. Among the boutiques and food shacks, a street signing boldly declaring ‘Follow That Dream’ is one of Tulum’s biggest Instagram hits. It’s one of our favorite spots in Tulum and it always brings a smile as we pass.
Set your map for the Lolita & Lolita Boutique and you will find the Follow that Dream sign right next to it.
Best Instagram Spots Tulum tip: I’ve seen some awesome shots with the turquoise Tulum rental bike cruisers at the sign. It makes for a really great photo.
2 | Matcha Mama
Another south beach road gem, the tiny Matcha Mama shack packs a huge punch and is both Instagram and food heaven. Serving plant based, gluten free delights including smoothie bowls, juices, acai bowls and kombuchas in cute surroundings adorned with matcha puns and swing seats.
Best Instagram Spots Tulum tip: Matcha Mama is a really popular spot and it can sometimes be difficult to grab a swing or get a clear shot without other Matcha Mama customers. We went around opening (8am) every day of our trip and it was typically quiet.
3 | Sian Kh’an Biosphere Reserve
The contrast between the eternally busy Tulum and the untouched beauty of the Sian Kh’an Biosphere is remarkable. The reserve, located just 10km south of Tulum, has some amazing photo opportunities. It is home to beautiful beaches, lush vegetation, secluded Muyil Mayan ruins, a coral reef and a mangrove lined canal.
Best Instagram spots in Tulum tip: it is possible to explore parts of the Si’an Khan reserve independently – we were able to drive just south of the visitors center from the Tulum entrance gate, make stops at the beaches and viewpoints and even spotted a sunbathing crocodile. However, if you want to experience the reserve more fully you will need to join a guided tour. Si’an Khan tours tend to be expensive but it is a remarkable place to experience.
4 | Ven a la Luz at Ahau Tulum Beach
As we drove down the south beach road in Tulum we did a double take as we passed the luxury Ahau Tulum Beach Hotel. Its magnificent entrance is an Instagram dream!
Visitors to the hotel walk through a huge wood and rope sculpture created by South African artist Daniel Popper. The female torso of Ven a la Luz, or ‘Come into the Light’, creates a dramatic archway and makes for a spectacular shot.
The wooden fanned entrance to the Mia Beach Restaurant is another remarkable artwork.
5 | Kaan Luum Lagoon
The contrast of lush green vegetation, stunning turquoise water and the traditional wooden boardwalk make the Kaan Luum Lagoon an incredible Instagram spot. The lagoon is also amazing for swimming and paddle boarding photos.
Best Instagram spots in Tulum tip: The Kaan Luum Lagoon is a laid back local swimming spot. It tends to get extremely busy towards the afternoon and on weekends so arrive early for interrupted shots.
6 | Tulum Ruins
A visit to the Tulum ruins is one of the unmissable things to do in Tulum and they make for a spectacular landscape shot. The ruins are perched on a cliffside overlooking a white sand beach and turquoise Caribbean Waters
For people shots, there is an incredible viewpoint which is accessed by climbing the steps running alongside the castle. The viewing platform looks back at the castle with the pristine beach as a backdrop. It really is spectacular. The only caveat is that you need to get there upon opening as the whole site gets extremely crowded.
After checking out this spectacular view of the ruins, descend the wooden stairs to the tiny Playita Tortuga beach for some photos and a swim in its clear blue waters. The beach is protected during the summer months for nesting sea turtles but it is possible to swim at other times of the year.
7 | Tulum Cenotes
Tulum is home to some of the most beautiful sites in the Yucatan Peninsula and the natural swimming holes make for some incredible Instagram shots.
- Cenote Car Wash: with crystal clear waters are surrounded by lush green vegetation Cenote Car Wash is a beautiful cenote. It also benefits from lower crowds than some of the more well known Tulum cenotes. As an added bonus, its swing rope and wooden boardwalk make for some awesome Instagram shots.
- Gran Cenote: a Tulum favorite, the ever popular Gran Cenote is made up of a series of wooden boardwalks which connect the caves, cavern and open air cenote. It’s usually possible to find a quiet spot to take a shot.
- Cenote Zacil-Ha: a neighbor of Cenote Car Wash, Cenote Zacil-Ha is a stunning open air cenote. Aesthetically, it is similar to a regular swimming pool and the deep cenote walls frame shots perfectly.
- Casa Cenote: located between Playa Del Carmen and Tulum, Casa Cenote is one of the most unique cenotes we visited. Its turquoise waters are surrounded by lush trees and mangrove.
- Cenote Calvera: with three sinkholes resembling a mouth and two eyes, Cenote Calvera translates to Cenote Skull. With 4m high cenote walls and a well placed later, Cenote Calvera is an amazing cenote for Instagram shots.
8 | Crooked Palm Trees
Tulum’s north beach road is home to two magnificent crooked palm trees which you can shimmy up for an awesome Instagram shot.
- Hotel El Pariso: located on Playa Pariso, one of the best public beaches in Tulum, the crooked palm tree is located in front of the Playa Pariso Beach Club. It’s usually pretty crowded and you might have to join a line.
- Amansala Resort Hotel: the second crooked palm tree is located in front of the Amansala Resort Hotel, one of Tulum’s eco resorts.
9 | Explore the resorts and beach clubs
The Tulum hotel strip on the south end of Beach road is home to some incredible and exclusive boutique hotels and resorts where rooms cost hundreds, or thousands, of dollars a night. If you opt to stay elsewhere, it’s still possible to access the glamorous hideaways through their beach clubs or restaurants.
- Azulik Tulum: the extravagant adults only Azulik Tulum, with its elevated wooden walkways and incredible architecture, is accessible via its restaurants and museum.
- Casa Malca: once a hideaway of Pablo Escobar and now a boutique hotel, is like walking into a photo shoot. The hotel is filled with incredible art and sculptures and there is even an antique chair swing which acts as an Instagram favorite. Day access is usually available via a minimum spend.
- Coco Tulum: a set of white swings lines the beach and makes for a great Instagram pic.
If you’re planning some day trips, there are some amazing Instagram spots close to Tulum:
10 | Cenote Suytun
Cenote Suytun is the ultimate Instagrammable cenote. If you visit Cenote Suytun at the right time of the day, light beams cascade through the roof of the cenote onto the circular platform below.
Best Instagram spots in Tulum tip: to catch the light beams shining directly onto the circular platform it’s best to visit in the late morning/early afternoon.
11 | Cenote Ik Kil and Chichen Itza
The most famous sight in the Yucatan, Chichen Itza is a 2 hour drive from Tulum but it is absolutely worth a day trip from the town. The nearby Cenote Ik Kil is one of the most iconic cenotes on the Yucatan Peninsula. Tree roots cascade from the collapsed ceiling of the cave making for a spectacular scene.